March 2014 Minutes
Arkansas Department of Labor Training Room
March 21, 2014
Rusty Griffin, Cameron Valves
Cody Duren, Cameron Valves
Joel Neisler, Zero Mountain
Brent Bennett, Wise Safety
Lester Allen, Cintas
Mike Taylor, Ashland
Lee Walker, Central Moloney
David Hodges, Producers Rice
Raine, Chism, Riggs Cat
Denise Whittaker, Siplast
Todd Franks, Siplast
Mikael Gossage, Cintas
Deanna Dykes, Calion Lumber
Julie Roberson, Anthony Forest
Elizabeth Nealey, Cintas, Fort Smith
Tammy Michael, Interstate Signs
Joni Sohl, Interstate Signs
Richard Armstrong, Snyder Inc.
Mark Howell, Howell Safety
Brett Palmatarg, American Red Cross
Cassaday Watkins, American Red Cross
Carlos Reynolds, DOL-OSHA
Mary Walter, DOL-OSHA
Ricky Belk, ADOL
Clark Thomas, ADOL
Tonia Cooper, ADOL
Milana Dennis, ADOL
Ocie Robinson, ADOL
Nita Matlock, ADOL
Chairman Rusty Griffin welcomed the group and asked for a Safety Tip. Joel Neisler provided one.
Rusty welcomed Director Ricky Belk to say a few words. Mr. Belk commented that the safety conferences across the state were beginning. The first one is Jacksonville on March 27. The ADOL Worker Safety Conferences are available online at www.labor.ar.gov. Check for the conferences near you. http://www.labor.ar.gov/Documents/2014%20Safety%20Conference%20Dates%20Brochure.pdf
Carlos Reynolds gave an OSHA update that fatalities are up 60% from last year. They have a site-specific target list.
Rusty made a presentation on Active Shooter called “RUN HIDE FIGHT” available from the internet on U-Tube. Cameron developed a preparedness plan for its location in Little Rock. Little Rock Police Department is available to assist.
To develop you own preparedness plan, good sources from Homeland Security and the FBI are:
A motion was made and seconded, that the minutes of the February 21, 2014 meeting be approved.
Action Items for the SHARP&VPPPA, Region VI Conference in May
Develop a Save-the-Date card for use at Arkansas’ booth at the Region VI SHARP VPPP Conference. The Region VI conference will be held May 5-8, 2014 in Little Rock. The Arkansas Department of Labor requested that members volunteer to assist at the booth during the conference.
URGENT ACTION ITEM – Volunteers needed for Region VI conference — Contact Carlos Reynolds
Action Items for the Arkansas SHARP & VPP September Conference
- Hotel arrangements – Todd Franks, Clark Thomas and Milana Dennis
- Door Prizes – Denise Whittaker and Todd Franks
- Speakers – Suggested are Dr. Hill from Arkansas Baptist; Steve Roberts of Cabot; Matt Mosler of NBC affiliate in Little Rock (KARK); Sgt. Paul Turner; Sgt. Trent for LR Police Department; a representative of Arkansas Game and Fish;
- Donations – Send donation amounts to Milana Dennis (Cameron and Calion Lumber volunteered)
- Theme – Climbing the Safety Ladder with SHARP VPP – Mikael Gossage and his Committee
- Topics – The Association discussed the following topics:
- Communicating Safety – Speaking up for Safety
- Workplace Violence – HR Managers’ Breakout
- Focus on PPE – Hand Safety
- Airborne Hazards – Silica Respiratory Protection – Air Quality – Dust
- Medical Response
- 24/7 Safety – Take Safety Home
- OSHA Recordkeeping
- Safety Working Incentives
- Hazard Communication /GHS – GHIS
- First Responders
- Distracted Driving
- Drugs Use Awareness
- NEW ACTION ITEM – Develop Theme for September Conference Celebrating 10 years – Climbing the Safety Ladder with SHARP VPP – Mikael Gossage and Committee
- Minor hand injury – Riggs Cat
- 1st and 2nd degree burns from hot oil – Howell Safety
- Hose slipped – Mary Walter
- Ammonia degrades certain hose and pipes –
Because April 18 is Good Friday, the April 18, 2014 meeting is delayed one week.
The April meeting will be April 25, 2014 at 10:00 a.m., in the Training Room, of the Arkansas Department of Labor, 10421 West Markham, Little Rock, 72205. Remember to stop on the first floor to get a security badge.
RSVP to Milana Dennis (ADOL) firstname.lastname@example.org or 501-682-9090
Meeting adjourned at 12:00 p.m.
Arkansas Department of Labor