July 2013 Minutes
2nd Floor Training Room, ADOL
June 19, 2013
Quinton Simison, BASF
Mike Patton, Riggs Cat
Randy Beard, Langston Bag
Daniel Case, International Paper
Thayer McKinley, International Paper
Deanna Dykes, Calion Lumber
Randell Crabtree, Brock
Cody Duran, Cameron Valve
Elizabeth Nealy, Cintas Fort Smith
Denise Whittaker, Siplast
Mike Patton, Riggs CAT
Arlie Bradbury, Welspun
John Davis, Brock
Mark Howell, Frito-Lay
Jeremiah Griffin, Ashland
Joe Jenko, Ashland
Melissa Mayer, G4S
Joseph W. Bickford, G4S
Philip Walker, Matthews International
Paula Smith, Matthews International
James Hankins, Matthews International
Denise Whittaker, Siplast
Joel Neisler, Zero Mt.
Carlos Ryenolds, DOL-OSHA
Ray Winiecki, Interim Director of
Arkansas SKILLS USA
Clark Thomas, ADOL
Tonia Cooper, ADOL
Milana Dennis ADOL
Nita Matlock, ADOL
Quinton Simison to call the meeting to order. Quinton introduced Ricky Belk, Director of the Arkansas Department of Labor who made a few remarks. Director Belk welcomed the association and ststed his commitment to SHARP. Ed House added that Scoular Company now has a third SHARP facility in Arkansas.
Quinton asked how many first timers in the room; there were three. He asked for a motion of the last meeting and they were approved by acclamation.
He then called on Mike Patton for a presentation on SKILLS USA. A discussion of Skills USA followed. Mike Patton and Ray Winiecki of SKILLS USA gave an overview of the program of OSHA and Industry going into schools to promote safety for potential future employees. For a more in-depth explanation, the website is http://www.skillsusa-arkansas.org/ . At this time there are no SHARP Associations involved in SKILLS USA and should be something we should take in. The dates of the next SKILLS USA Conference/Competition is April 14-16, 2014 at the Austin Hotel in Hot Springs. OSHA and DOL-OSHA vendor fees waived for this conference. Chip McAfee in the incoming director of SKILLS USA.
Ray agreed to forward a list of schools involved in Skills USA to help our organization to get involved.
- Conference planning – the Conference information and invitation is to go out by August and the invitation will be signed by Denise Whittaker and Marc Kelley
- Facility – Contracts are in place with Holiday Inn Airport. Thirty rooms are set aside at the government rate for $86 plus tax by calling 501-490-1000 and asking for the SHARP/VPP-ADOL group rate.
- Vendor Committee – There will be no vendors at the Conference.
- Managers Luncheon – a special session with managers and OSHA representative and the invitation letter will be included in the Conference information.
- The entire conference registration will be available for electronic mail so members my invite others to attend.
- Speaker BIOS due to Milana by September 1st.
- Statistical information will be voted on at the August,16, 2013 meeting.
• Share the conference registration information with others using Chamber of Commerce website or companies in your area who
- Get your sponsor logos to Kim Fischer if you are sponsoring any part of the Conference.
- Speaker Bios
- A/V Equipment needs to Milana
- Topic Descriptions
Quinton asked for incident sharing.
Carlos Reynolds, OSHA area director stated there has been 12 fatalities year to date with the most resent due to an explosion in NW Arkansas
Quinton Simison Share a close call incident involving contractor working on Roof without connecting fall protection
The next meeting will be held at ADOL, 10421 West Markham, 2nd Floor Training Room, Little Rock at 10:00 a.m., Friday, August 16.
Milana Dennis (ADL)
2013 Safety Conferences
|Little Rock||March 5|
|Russellville||May 16||Location change to Dardanelle Community Center|
|Pine Bluff||May 23|
|West Memphis||June 13||Mid-South Community College|
|El Dorado||July 18||South Arkansas Community College, East Campus|
|Bentonville||August 8||NWA Community College, Burns|
|Ashdown||August 15||Cossatot Community College|
|Jonesboro||August 29||St. Bernard Medical Center|
|Blytheville||October 1||Changed from October 24|
Meet and Greet Sept. 11
Conference Sept. 12
Holiday Inn Airport