2013 Planning Luncheon Minutes
Welcome by Richard Kyzer of Little Rock Wastewater was extended to everyone attending the planning meeting. He gave instructions on emergency exits in case of a fire.
Opening remarks were by Director Ricky Belk, Arkansas Department of Labor. Director Belk recognized his staff and introduced the new consultants that will work with different companies in the surrounding areas. Director Belk stated that he is available to meet with different civic groups in each area if the opportunity presents itself. He is excited about visiting companies, in person or on the phone, informing them about our services.
Director Belk, informed the group about the different libraries and there locations which are ADOL 10421 West Markham Little Rock, Black River Technical College 2402 North 12th Avenue, Paragould and Northwest Arkansas Community College #1 College Drive, Bentonville, Arkansas. Each location have Dvd’s and videos for loan.
He further stated that all of the conferences held this year have had a positive impact on our state overall injury/illnesses rates. Our conferences have trained thousands of individuals. We are looking forward to the 2014 conferences that will be held throughout the state.
Director Belk introduced Bentley Wallace, Vice President of Economic Development Pulaski Technical College. Mr. Wallace gave an overview of Pulaski Technical College and different locations throughout the state. Mr. Wallace extended an invitation to the group to come out and visit the college. It was discuss that the site located at 13000 Interstate 30 maybe the location for the Little Rock 2014 safety conference.
Carlos Reynolds, Area Director of OSHA/Labor was introduced by Director Belk. Mr. Reynolds gave an overview of his agency. He also addressed isocyanate hazards in the workplace. OSHA is initiating National Emphasis Program (NEP) to address high probability of employee exposure to iscoyanates. The targeted industries in general industry are:
- Automotive – paints, glues, insulation, sealants and fiber bonding, truck bed lining
- Casting – foundry cores
- Building and construction – sealants, glues, insulation material, fillers
- Electricity and electronics – cable insulation, PUR coated circuit boards
- Mechanical engineering – insulation material
- Paints – lacquers
- Plastics – soft and hard plastics, plastic foam and cellular plastic
- Printing – inks and lacquers
- Timber and furniture – adhesives, lacquers, upholstery stuffing and fabrics
- Textile – synthetic textile fibers
- Medical care – PUR casts
- Mining – sealants and insulating materials
- Food industry – packaging materials and lacquers
In construction the targeted industries include:
- Painting and paper handling
- Plastering, drywall, acoustical, and insulation work
- Floor Laying and other floor work, NEC
- Glass and glazing work
Mr. Reynolds also stated that OSHA currently has ten (10) Regions, but some are going to be combined.
Clark Thomas, Project Safety Manager at ADOL conducted the rest of the meeting. Mr. Thomas said due to the bad weather that was occurring in the state, he expedited the meeting so people who traveled long distances could leave before the bad weather hit. We set dates, locations and topics for the conferences for 2014 and they are:
- March 6, 2014 Little Rock (possible South Pulaski Technical College)
- May 15, 2014 Dardanelle/Russellville Dardanelle Community Center
- May 21, 2014 Pine Bluff SEARK College
- June 12, 2014 West Memphis Mid-South Community College
- July 24, 2014 El Dorado South Arkansas Community College
- August 14, 2014 Bentonville Northwest Arkansas Community College
- August 21, 2014 Ashdown Cossatot Community College
- September 4, 2014 Batesville Arkansas University Community College
- September 25, 2014 Jonesboro St. Bernard Hospital
- October 8, 2014 Blytheville Holiday Inn
- October 16, 2014 Hope U of A Community College of Hope
Chuck Ledbetter with Scoular Company is checking on a location and date to have a conference in Helena.
Main topics are:
- OSHAS updates
- Identifying Keller Kulture (this is the correct spelling for this topic)
- Prescription Drug Program
- Temp Workers and New Workers
Ryan Barks, Safety Council of the Ozark, volunteered to help with Prescription Drug Program.
Contacts for conference:
- Little Rock Andy Kelloms, Richard Kyzer, Tammy Michael and Ken Fletcher
- Dardanelle/Russellville Lorrie Chesser
- Pine Bluff Wanda Lindsey, Larry Livingston and Elizabeth Lott
- West Memphis Quinton Simison
- El Dorado Kelley Olivier, Julie Robertson and Deanna Dykes
- Bentonville Clay Bradshaw and David Hartman
- Ashdown Terry Hughes
- Batesville Tammy Osborne, Linda Stewart and Terry Mitts
- Jonesboro Mark Howell, Edna Monk and Thomas Bean
- Blytheville Austin Strother and Melissa Lampe
- Hope Denise Hansard, Shaun Clark, Jack Lacefield and Todd Franks
It was decided that there will be exhibitors at each conference next year.
Region VI VPPPA Conference will be held in Little Rock on May 5-8, 2014 at the Statehouse Convention Center.
National VPPPA Conference will be held in Nashville Tennessee on August 26-29, 2014.
Arkansas SHARP/VPP Conference will be held on September 11, 2014 at the Holiday Inn, Airport
The next SHARP/VPP meeting will be Friday January 17, 2014 at Arkansas Department of Labor 10421 West Markham, Little Rock.
The meeting was adjourned.